This is an update about the shallow water survey work being carried out along the Western HVDC Link cable route off the Wirral in Liverpool Bay during September 2021. A revised and updated notice to mariners about these operations can be downloaded here and is summarised below.
A geophysical survey of the shallow water extent of the installed Western Link cables is currently being carried out by Fugro GB Marine Ltd using the survey vessel Valkyrie in shallow waters as follows.
- Liverpool Bay, off the Wirral – survey work started in early September and is due to be completed ahead of schedule by mid-September 2021 (subject to weather conditions);
- Ardneil Bay, Firth of Clyde – survey work was completed at the end of August, and the vessel has ceased operations in this area.
Please note that the survey work that is being conducted in Liverpool Bay by this vessel has been extended in its extent by approximately 14km and will now terminate to the north-west of the Burbo Bank Offshore Wind Farm area (it previously ended to the south of this Wind Farm).
Full details of the location and extent of this work can be found in the Notice to Mariners that can be downloaded here.
Information about the location of the vessel carrying out this work can be found at the Marine Traffic website using the link below:-
- Valkyrie: Research / survey vessel | Call sign 2BWA9
The survey vessel will operate on a 12 hour basis, and during survey work may be towing equipment up to 100m behind the vessel. Throughout survey operations the vessel will be displaying the appropriate lights and shapes as required under the COLREGS Rule 27(b).
The vessel involved in this work may be restricted in its ability to manoeuvre and other vessels are reminded to pass at a safe speed and maintain a wide berth of at least 300m distance.
Notices to Mariners
The Notices to Mariners that are presently in place for the Western HVDC Link project are:-
- Western HVDC Link Update: Shallow water survey work – Liverpool Bay, September 2021 – this notice is described above. It was issued on the 9th September 2021 and provides information about ongoing survey work on the shallow water stretch of the cable off the Wirral in Liverpool Bay. The Notice to Mariners can be downloaded here.
- Western HVDC Link: Shallow water survey work – Firth of Clyde, & Liverpool Bay August-September 2021 – this notice was issued on the 18th August 2021 and provides information about upcoming survey work on the shallow water cable in Ardneil Bay, Firth of Clyde and off the Wirral in Liverpool Bay. The Notice to Mariners can be downloaded here.
Earlier notices are all rescinded.