[Update – the information in this notice has been superseded by more recent notices. The notice remains as part of the historical record of notices issued for this project. Please refer to the most recent notice for an up-to-date record of the notices presently in place for this project. This can be accessed via the project description page here.]
Mariners are advised that rock placement works are due to commence on an offshore section of the Western HVDC Link cable in the North Channel in the Irish Sea in late September 2019. Rock placement is required to cover some short sections of exposed cable following the completion of operations in this area. Details of the works are provided in a Notice to Mariners that can be downloaded here and is summarised below.
Location & timing
The rock placement works are due to start at the end of September and to be completed in early October 2019. The works will take place at the location specified below:-
- North Channel, Irish Sea: in an area approximately 18km east of Millisle in Northern Ireland, between the points 054°36.248’N 005°14.848’W to 054°35.920’N 005°14.890’W.
A map showing the location of the work is given in the Notice to Mariners which can be downloaded here.
The rock placement works will be carried out by Van Oord using the vessel Nordnes. Details of the vessel, along with its present location can be found on MarineTraffic.com via the link below:-
- Nordnes: Rock placement vessel | Call sign PHOG
The vessel will be monitoring VHF Channel 16 throughout the operations.
The vessel involved in this work will be restricted in its ability to manoeuvre and other vessels are reminded to pass at a safe speed and distance. Fishing vessels are advised to remain a safe distance (approximately 1.5 nautical miles) from the area identified in the Notice to Mariners.
The Guard Vessel that has previously been stationed in this area to monitor the cable and provide advice to mariners will remain in position until this work has been completed.
Notices to Mariners
The Notices to Mariners that are presently in place for this project are:-
- Western HVDC Link: Rock Placement Works, Irish Sea – September 2019 – this notice is described above. It was issued on the 20th September and provides information about rock placement activities to protect exposed cable in the North Channel in the Irish Sea. The Notice to Mariners can be downloaded here.
- Western HVDC Link: Deep water survey work, Irish Sea & Firth of Clyde, September – October 2019. This notice was issued on the 21st August 2019 and provides information about upcoming survey work on cable throughout its length. The Notice to Mariners can be downloaded here.
- Western HVDC Link: Shallow water survey work – Liverpool Bay, August 2019. This notice was issued on the 6th August 2019 and provides information about upcoming survey work on the shallow water cable in Liverpool Bay. The Notice to Mariners can be downloaded here.
- Western HVDC Link: Update on Cable Operations – Exposed Cable Sections, June 2019 – this notice was issued on the 7th June and provides information about exposed cable in the North Channel in the Irish Sea. The Notice to Mariners can be downloaded here.
Earlier notices are all rescinded.