[Update – the information in this notice has been superseded by more recent notices. The notice remains as part of the historical record of notices issued for this project. Please refer to the most recent notice for an up-to-date record of the notices presently in place for this project. This can be accessed via the project description page here.]
Mariners are advised that the vessel Nordnes is due to commence Post Lay Installation Rock Placement Works along part of the Western HVDC Link cable route, starting in early February 2017. This update provides a brief summary of the detail included in the Notice to Mariners describing this work, which can be downloaded here (note that this NtM was revised on 10th February).
Post Lay Installation Burial Works
Post Lay Installation Rock Placement Works are due to be carried out by the vessel Nordnes. This work will be carried out along parts of the installed cable in the North Channel and the mouth of the Firth of Clyde.
Rock will be placed on sections of cable that remain exposed following the Post Lay Installation Burial works that were carried out in December 2016 and January 2017. The locations for rock placement are all illustrated and listed in the Notice to Mariners about these works. The work is due to commence in early February 2017 and to be completed in March 2017.
The notice to mariners describing this work can be downloaded here. (Please note: this notice to mariners was updated on 10th February following completion of the cable burial works, and indicates a significantly reduced extent of rock placement.)
Details of the vessels involved in these operations, along with their present location can be found on MarineTraffic.com via the links below:-
- Nordnes: rock placement vessel | Call sign PHOG
The vessel will be monitoring VHF Channel 16 throughout the operation.
The vessel involved in this work will be restricted in its ability to manoeuvre and other vessels are reminded to navigate with caution in their vicinity and pay strict attention to instructions issued to them by navigation authorities.
Exposed cable locations
There are several sections of exposed cable along the cable route including the planned cable crossing locations previously communicated through notice to mariners. These sections are currently being monitored by Guard Vessels which have been deployed locally.
To assist all mariners, a consolidated list of exposed cable locations has been compiled and can be downloaded here. (Note that this list was also updated on 10th February and replaces earlier versions).
Vessels are requested to pass at a safe speed and distance and fishing vessels are advised to remain a safe distance (approximately 1.5 nautical miles) from the areas identified. Guard Vessels have been deployed at each location to aid in monitoring the exposed areas and advise of safe distances locally.
The locations of these exposed sections are shown in Table 1 of the Notice to Mariners which can be downloaded here.
Guard vessels have been stationed along the cable route during installation and burial to ensure the safety of marine users. They will remain in position until cable protection operations are completed to advise mariners of the location of exposed cable.
In areas where the cable crosses other cables and pipelines that are in service, the guard vessels will remain on station until cable protection has been completed in these locations (either through concrete matressing or rock placement).
Notices to Mariners
The Notices to Mariners that are presently in force for this project are:-
- Post Lay Rock Placement Works – this is the notice described above. It was issued on 1st February 2017 and provides information about rock protection work for Campaigns 3 & 6 of the cable route which will be carried out between February and March 2017. The notice can be downloaded here .
- Post Lay Installation Burial Works – this notice was issued on 1st February 2017 and provides information about the cable burial work for Campaign 4 of the cable route which will start in early February 2017. The notice can be downloaded here.
- Post Lay Installation Burial Works – this notice was issued on 22nd November 2016 and provides information about the cable burial work for Campaigns 3 & 6 of the cable route which are being carried out between December 2016 and January 2017. The notice can be downloaded here.
- Exposed cable locations, Irish Sea – this notice is also described above. It provides an update on the locations of rock protection areas and exposed cable locations which are awaiting protection as of the 10th February 2017. The notice can be downloaded here.
- Concrete mattressing – along the cable route concrete mattresses have been laid at crossings of existing cables and pipelines. A notice to mariners about the mattressing campaign conducted in 2015 can be downloaded here.
Earlier notices have all been rescinded.
If you have any queries about the Western Link project, please contact Jim Andrews, Fisheries Liaison Officer by e-mail or by phone on +44(0)7908-225865.