[Update – the information in this notice has been superseded by more recent notices. The notice remains as part of the historical record of notices issued for this project. Please refer to the most recent notice for an up-to-date record of the notices presently in place for this project. This can be accessed via the project description page here.]
Mariners are advised that the vessel HAM 602 is due to carry out rock placement works in Ardneil Bay, commencing in late March 2017. Information about these works is given in a Notice to Mariners that can be downloaded here and which is summarised below.
Rock Placement works
Rock Placement Works will be carried out by the vessel HAM 602. This work will take place along parts of the installed cable close to the landfall in Ardneil Bay where the cable is presently exposed.
The locations for rock placement are all illustrated and listed in the Notice to Mariners about these works. The work is due to commence in late March 2017 and to be completed in April 2017.
The notice to mariners describing this work can be downloaded here.
Details of the vessels involved in these operations, along with their present location can be found on MarineTraffic.com via the links below:-
- HAM 602: rock placement vessel | Call sign PENF
The vessel will be monitoring VHF Channel 16 throughout the operation.
The vessel involved in this work will be restricted in its ability to manoeuvre and other vessels are reminded to navigate with caution in their vicinity and pay strict attention to instructions issued to them by navigation authorities.
Exposed cable locations
There are several sections of exposed cable along the cable route at locations where cable burial or protection has not been possible and at some remaining planned cable crossing locations. These sections are currently being monitored by Guard Vessels which have been deployed locally.
To assist all mariners, a consolidated list of exposed cable locations (as of 15th March 2017) has been compiled. This list is included in the notice to mariners that can be downloaded here.
Guard vessels have been stationed along the cable route during installation and burial to ensure the safety of marine users. They will remain in position until cable protection operations are completed to advise mariners of the location of exposed cable.
In areas where the cable crosses other cables and pipelines that are in service, the guard vessels will remain on station until cable protection has been completed in these locations (either through concrete mattressing or rock placement).
Vessels are requested to pass at a safe speed and distance and fishing vessels are advised to remain a safe distance (approximately 1.5 nautical miles) from the areas identified. Guard Vessels have been deployed at each location to aid in monitoring the exposed areas and advise of safe distances locally.
The locations of Guard Vessel areas and exposed sections are shown in Tables 1 & 2 of the Notice to Mariners which can be downloaded here.
Notices to Mariners
The Notices to Mariners that are presently in place for this project are:-
- Post Lay Installation Rock Placement Works Ardneil Bay – this is the notice described above. It provides information on rock placement work due to be carried out in Ardneil Bay in March-April 2017. The notice can be downloaded here.
- Exposed cable locations: Update, Irish Sea North Channel, Firth of Clyde – this notice described above. It provides an update on exposed cable locations in these areas. The notice can be downloaded here.
- Debris – this notice was issued on the 15th March 2017. It informs mariners of the location of some debris that was found during the Pre Lay Grapnel Run along the cable route to the south of the Isle of Man. The notice can be downloaded here.
- Survey works of cable installation in Liverpool Bay, Irish Sea, North Channel and Firth of Clyde – this notice was issued on 1st March 2017. It provides an update on survey work that is due to be conducted along the installed cable route. The notice can be downloaded here.
- Post Lay Rock Placement Works – this notice was issued on 1st February 2017 (and updated on 10th February 2017) and provides information about rock protection work for Campaigns 3 & 6 of the cable route which will be carried out between February and March 2017. The notice can be downloaded here .
- Post Lay Installation Burial Works – this notice was issued on 1st February 2017 and provides information about the cable burial work for Campaign 4 of the cable route which will start in early February 2017. The notice can be downloaded here.
- Concrete mattressing – along the cable route concrete mattresses have been laid at crossings of existing cables and pipelines. A notice to mariners about the mattressing campaign conducted in 2015 can be downloaded here.
Earlier notices are all rescinded.